Tuesday 18 September 2012

My Visit to Oxford



What I Brought Back from Oxford


As the new academic year approaches, I can’t help thinking that every time I look at a course book, or my eager-to-learn students’ faces, a memory will pop up briefly in my head. This memory is bound to last for years but it only encompasses three short, sunny and spectacular days in Oxford. Ever since May this year, when I learned that I would be given the opportunity to attend an Oxford Teachers’ Academy seminar for winning a OUP competition, I had been dreaming about spending time in the centre of English Language Teaching, surrounded by fellow teachers from around the world.

Even after nearly two months have passed since our seminar in July, I still can’t make up my mind which part of the whole experience I enjoyed the most. In my thoughts, I drift first to the very beginning: arriving at Keble College in the evening. As I was entering the awe-inspiring college site, I kept thinking how lucky I was to be there and not merely as one of the tourists admiring its architecture and history but as an OUP guest.  The next morning is when it all started happening. We got to know each other’s names over breakfast, in the majestic dining hall, and we all walked together to our first day of seminar. This was quite different than the seminars I’d attended before, as our whole group (of over 30 teachers) quickly became close knit and genuinely appreciated each other’s inputs and opinions. Each day had three 90 minute sessions with enough time for reflexion and refreshment. Our teacher was Tim Ward, and during those three days he took us on a journey beyond the course book, letting us experience what it must be like for our students embarking on their language learning journey and encouraging us to discover what it is like for our colleagues around the world. We analysed, role-played, made posters, focused on all the skills, discovered and rediscovered a plethora of teaching techniques and had a splendid time at that. We all made sure to show our gratitude and provide comments and suggestions in the feedback so, hopefully, after having read them, Tim understands how much it all meant to us.  

As it usually happens, the fondest memories are of something less central to the event such as certain friendships, outings or meals and all this took place on the very first evening at a charming Lebanese restaurant, where most of us tried flavours we had not heard of before and took full advantage of our Lebanese fellow-teacher who acted as a food guide with obvious pride and skill. Another thing that, although optional, was what I personally looked forward to the most is meeting the OUP editors and learning about the magnificent process of course book creating. This was the spark I had been looking for to encourage me to explore the ways I and other teachers can contribute to the OUP endeavors. 

Friday night had come all too quickly and everyone was somewhat sad to leave, but thanks to social networking and emails we all keep in touch and have formed a very active and exclusive group on Facebook where we keep up with each other’s news, be it professional or private. Our group is now yet another source of ideas, handouts and career tips and this is one of the well-known side benefits of attending an OUP seminar.  If you’ll excuse me now, someone has just posted a photo album from Oxford in our group; I just have to see it!

Jasmina

1 comment:

  1. Very well said Jasmina, the memories we created will be forever engraved in our memories :)

    ~The proud Lebanese :)

    ReplyDelete